&t skeet on mischa: Kroq's Weenie Roast

skeet on mischa

i wouldn't have given you it if i didn't agree

May 22, 2005

Kroq's Weenie Roast

Our local "alternative rock" radio station, Kroq 106.7 , had their annual Weenie Roast this past Saturday at Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine. There were two stages, a side stage where most of the bands I wanted to see played and the main stage where the larger bands played. We caught Bloc Party, 10 minutes of the MArs Volta (explanation soon following), Interpol, The Killers, and Jimmy Eat World.

Unfortunately adidas was not able to wrangle us any backstage passes until mid Killers set and what good does that do me? Matt Tong from Bloc Party probably left the area (fuck , I would if I were him). I don't even know where to start with the Weenie Roast. I am so happy that I did not pay the 60 or so dollars it took to get into this bastion of tacky middle-aged people trying to relive their youth. During the Interpol set there was a group of late 40 year olds drunkenly dancing and waving their arms about. I wanted to squeeze their windpipes until their eyes exploded. It was horrible. I didn't know whether to burn them with searing hatred or be outstandingly embarassed for their children; a little bit of both I've concluded.

Bloc party played a good solid set with few deviations from their past shows, which was a little disappointing. Kele, I love you, I want to have your babies, but please stop prefacing songs with the same "This song is about boredom" or "This song is about sex." Talk to us, woo us with your silky smooth British accents, please. Immediately following Bloc Party was The Mars Volta. It was a surprise that they would be willing to play such a large event. And then they started and I knew, their set would be one big middle finger in the air to Kroq and even their fans. God bless them for it too. It was 30 minutes of utterly pretentious ambient noise with sporadic yelps from Cedric. They pretty much told Kroq "We're fucking amazing, fuck you." But seriously, that's the spirit. Because otherwise they would have ended up like Interpol with middle aged white women dancing in a pink tube top to their songs. Could death come any quicker?

7 Comments:

At 2:31 PM , Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

that just reminded me of the one time i went to a weenie roast.

i was in the sixth grade and i went with my sister's friends and they failed to invite my sister, but me, yeah, they brought along and i saw pavement back in the day and early beck. and i think candlebox.

 
At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOUG PLEASE COME BACK. YOUR READERS NEED YOU.

 
At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, we need doug. reading about some girl getting free tickets for the weenie roast(which i had no idea what still going on) is not what we came here for. we want to read about the mishaps and misfortunes of a lost o.c. kid who doenst quiet fit in. not the running-arounds of a seemingly 'in' l.a. girl who does what any normal l.a. girl does, get into shows for free. and then try to make out with the hot boys. geez, i've everyone i know has done that.

 
At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so people in their forties aren't allowed to have fun and dance? Fuck you. I'm not forty yet but I hope to be some day and if you make it that far your words will come back to haunt you. Or are you just planning on going into hiding when you reach the hideous age of 35?

 
At 1:18 PM , Blogger annie said...

i'm hoping i'll be dead by the time i reach 30.

 
At 7:15 AM , Anonymous Chuck Reinhardt said...

Annie, I think you make an excellent counterpoint to Doug. I would also point out there is a lot of life left after 30.

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger thetick said...

hello, interesting and funny post about the weenie roast! i'm from singapore, i took a trip to california at the end of april for coachella where i heard about KROQ's weenie roast prior to flying back home. i thought it would be a killer great show with such an awesome line-up!? oh hey, i've got some coachella snaps on my blog that you might want to check out. take care! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home