&t skeet on mischa: Cold Toes

skeet on mischa

i wouldn't have given you it if i didn't agree

Feb 19, 2007

Cold Toes


Can somebody please explain to me as to what happened to “Veronica Mars”? I understand that the show, this particular season is in a state of transition. It’s a new network and the producers are attempting to get a new audience. Yet the show has become so bad that I don’t even think the spill over audience from “Glimore Girls,” are going to be interested in the case of the dead basketball coach. The show isn’t really about the weekly mysteries anymore either, it’s become a weekly trade off of moping sessions either by Veronica Mars or Logan. Why can’t they just solve weird crimes instead of doing horrible impressions of Zach Braff or Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardener week after week? Do they do this mopey people thing a lot on shows like “One Tree Hill” and “Gilmore Girls”? I’ve never seen the show and attempting to figure out why anybody would want to do a show about mopey kids? Personally, I’ve been mopey lately and when I watch TV, I don’t watch people mope around as well. TV is supposed to be a form of escapism. I’m well aware that not TV can or has to be like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue videos nor should it be, but for pete’s sake, it should be at least remotely entertaining. Yet I should’ve read the writing on the wall when I saw that Peez character. Perhaps the worst character to enter the world of Teen based dramas since Oliver on “The OC”. As much as I’d love to see another season of the show, I’m not sure if I could stomach another episode of this current season. They need to throw some ‘D’s on that bitch.

The same goes for “24” and “Lost”. I can’t explain it, but “Lost” honestly just bores me these days. I can’t work up the interest or excitement to care about that weird British guy or that doctor lady who breaks bread with the others. You know, I’d rather fall asleep during it than figuring it all out. I have no more questions about the island. It’s not that the show is bad in terms of acting, it’s just that the questions I have, have been answered so far. It’s not like “Heroes,” where the audience can look pass the awful acting and just focus in on getting the bigger picture. That Conor Obsert lookin’ dude is still one of the worst actors I’ve seen, but I’m beginning to tolerate his character because he’s going to blow up and hopefully die.

Sometimes I wish I was famous because I could’ve probably gotten the e-vite to the 50 Cent Vitamin Water Poker tournament. Not that I would want to play poker with the likes of Jason Mewes and Eva Longoria, but simply for the insane amount of free Formula 50 flavored Vitamin Water that must’ve been on hand. Cameron Giles can release whatever diss record about Curtis he wants, but nobody can deny that Formula 50 is a beyond tasty beverage. And it’s not fair that these so-called celebrities (I’m questioning Jamie Kennedy’s fame status) get to probably walk away from the event with a free case or dare I even imagine cases and cases of Vitamin Water. It’s not fair because you know these people are at a point in their life.

Emmanuel Lubezki wins an award for his ground breaking work on Children of Men. If you still have yet to watch Children of Men for some insane reason, you could watch it on DVD since its coming out on DVD at the end of March. I mean why would you do that to yourself; watching a visually stunning film on such a small screen, but you know, whatever, HD and all.

That Panda Bear album, "Person Pitch," is easily one of my favorite albums of the year; dare I even call it my second favorite album of the year thus far. I know that the year is only a few months old, but this album is great. Although nothing a like in sound and style, "Person Pitch" reminds me a lot of the Sunset Rubdown album.



There’s a part of me that wants this picture on a t-shirt with a wacky caption like, “Come Get Some!” But mostly, I just feel bad. Nobody’s mental breakdown should be played all over the news. It’s great material for some people, but you know, this isn’t real news. This shouldn’t be a major story on the 11 o’clock news. Let the girl have her breakdown in private, get some help and hopefully clean up and become a better parent.

8 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Blogger Ed Reif said...

Britney Shears

WOw

 
At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that the writers of Lost said the show is going to end after season five (two more to go!). Know if this is true or not?

 
At 2:57 PM , Anonymous C-dice said...

bald > embalming

yay!

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

I think the writers of "Lost" created a plan to wrap the show up after 5 seasons just in case they get canceled or something. They have an escape plan, but I'm not sure if I'm interested anymore.

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

Its funny, I don't even like Animal Collective, but I love that Panda Bear album. I can't believe that the drummer of all people in one of my least favorite bands could do something that cool.

 
At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Bonham Hathaway said...

Friday Night Lights is on tonight.

It's fun to watch TV that doesn't leave you disappointed.

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger Najork said...

Sorry in advance, this is really long.

I think a lot of what happened to VM I think is that there hasn't been a day in several years when the show was guaranteed not to be cancelled. This sort of thing plays hell with arc plotting. Babylon 5 -- which sort of sucked, but which I watched religiously because its plotting was much more intricate than other things on at the time -- had a five year storyline blown to smithereens when it appeared it would be cancelled after season 4. The show shot its wad in a big way, got extended, and the fifth season was both anticlimactic and generally dreadful.

VM doesn't have a multi-year arc going, but there is a similar phenomenon at work. The problem is essentially that the first season of the show was narratively almost too perfect -- it was a beautiful self-contained bubble, and it wasn't clear how to repeat the trick. The second season was basically an attempt to repeat the formula of the first, but with "higher stakes" -- it's no longer about murder and rape, it's about mass murder, large-scale real estate fraud, chronic sexual abuse, and so on. The problem with the second season was twofold: the arc plot was so complicated that by the end of the season nearly 100% of the episode time was devoted to it, and the ultimate resolution was batshit insane.

Then the WB and UPN merged into the hellish teen wasteland known as the CW. For the third season, raising the plot stakes again was neither practical (what could they do? Nukes in Neptune?) nor in alignment with the desires of the new network, who presumably wanted something easier for teens to relate to. So instead of scaling up, they scaling down -- a trick which almost never works in television -- and split the season in half, keep the mysteries smaller and college-focused, etc.

I've mentioned before that the Veronica/Logan relationship is dead, and it's been dead all season. Teen shows always get saddled with this kind of Dawson's Creek-style soulmate bullshit (Gilmore Girls, of which I've seen more than I should, is actually one of the few shows in the genre I can think of that has ditched its male romantic lead multiple times). Jason Dohring does certain things well, but bring any sort of variety to his moping is not one of those things -- he's much better as a gleeful asshole.

I still watch the show, and I still enjoy it most of the time, because it still does some things well from a narrative standpoint. The show may still be the best on TV at reusing its minor characters, and its continuity is still very strong. The mystery itself doesn't have the same hook, but well, maybe I'm just structure-obsessed. I still like watching the puzzle assembled, even if the ultimate picture isn't that great.

I liked last night's episode, though. Killing off characters for the win.

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Blake said...

Sure Britney's having a breakdown, but that's what happens when you base your entire career on your looks and sex appeal. Take someone like Ester Goldberg, she's no Carmen Electra, but I still want to watch her show at the Comedy Store on Sunset Blvd. tomorrow night because she's hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home