&t skeet on mischa: Sling Beaners On Patrol

skeet on mischa

i wouldn't have given you it if i didn't agree

Mar 1, 2007

Sling Beaners On Patrol


I still know that it’s been a while and quite frankly, very few things make sense to me these days. “Pet Sounds” makes sense. “One Word Extinguisher” by Prefuse 73 makes sense. “Little Wing,” & “Don’t Let It Bring You Down” by Neil Young makes sense. (Dude, Neil Young at Massey Hall) That EL-P album makes sense. The Whatevs redesign & relaunch (we heart Uncle Grambo) makes sense. And oddly in the midst of everything not making any sense, “Tim and Eric: Awesome Show. Great Job” makes nowadays. Traveling makes sense. Hilariously mispronouncing peoples’ names makes sense. Talking about the Sarah Morrison with Robin Brown makes sense. Bus Driver always made sense or at least he did to me. Making lists makes sense. Fincher’s Zodiac makes sense; it’s great. Not a thriller for the masses, but a zippy art film about obsessed people shot wonderfully in HD. It’s hard to say if I liked it better than Fight Club or Se7en because Zodiac is a completely different animal. Se7en, in today’s movie savy world would be nothing more than a three episode arc leading to the season finale of “CSI: Miami,” and Fight Club was all style, technique and attitude where as Zodiac is also about style, but it’s mostly mood, atmosphere and characters. Support filmmakers who make films with a unique style and voice. “30 Rock” and “The Sarah Silverman Program” makes sense; is there any possible way that the viewing audience could get a straight shot of “The Office,” “30 Rock” and “Sarah Silverman”? It’d be the best 90 minutes of television ever.


I wish I could make a list of things that don’t make sense, but I’m not sure if the internet is big enough. Like an English language remake of The Lives of Others doesn’t make sense. Instead of remaking it, why not let the dude who directed the original do an English film? The film Dead Silence doesn’t make any sense, but the young people will be into it cause you know it’s scary. Emmanuel Lubezki not winning an Academy Award for Children of Men doesn’t make any sense at all; did the voters fail to see how groundbreaking his work was in comparison to that extremely over rated film that I’m too lazy to look up and spell correctly. Yeah, that film looked nice and it was warm in sequences, but dude, did they not see the scene that long take in the car? Probably my recent decision to eat small portions and to skip meals all together sometimes doesn’t make sense either, but you know, whatever. Its just hard for me to make sense of anything because I spent most of my time in a car or staring at the computer, hoping I could find something to write about. I just don’t want to say everything sucks. I mean it does, it really does. The world is falling apart. I’m falling apart. Well, that’s a bit over the top. Maybe a better term is I’m in need some of stiching. Just look at what’s happening with everything? Dick Cheney is nearly blown up, the stock market crashes, people are choosing to watch films like Ghost Rider and Norbit (well, I shouldn’t talk since I saw Norbit, but it was for a paper). What the fuck is going on? TV shows that used to be good now move like a small child dragging a stick through the mud.

At least If… is coming out on DVD

I wish I could say more about other things; not personal things, but work things. But I’ll say this to say that, most actresses in real life aren’t that impressive. Then again, we hold them to such a high standard. You know, they’re just normal people who wear too much foundation sometimes.

8 Comments:

At 1:24 PM , Blogger Uncle Grambo said...

First off, thanks as always for the propers. Second, why the hate for Dead Silence? I could be wrong, but the premise --if you scream, you die -- sets up for some pretty rad set pieces. Also, those dolls? That seemingly possessed Charlie McCarthy lookin' muthafucka looks to be a hybrid of all the characteristics of the villians we loved in both "Trilogy of Terror" and "Child's Play." I say buzz.

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger Najork said...

I liked Pan's Labyrinth considerably more than (I gather) you did, but you know my thoughts on Children of Men and Lubezki got jobbed. The car sequence is unbelievable. Oh well.

The Sarah Silverman program is awesome, both because it's awesome, and also because it is overflowing with Channel 101 talent (Schrab, Agee, Falconer, and Abed Gheith as "Terrorist").

The new whatevs looks nice, but I'm pretty sure last week I saw him talking up The Family Stone, which makes me think Grambo's been replaced by a beta unit, Last Starfighter-style.

It seems like I can't go ten feet without seeing some advertisement for 300. My people -- which is to say the nerds of the world -- are wetting themselves over this movie, but I can't get excited. It appears to be the first film ever shown entirely in slow motion, which strikes me as a wee bit self-important. Also, I'm fairly sure Frank Miller has lost his mind.

 
At 9:20 PM , Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

Grambo: Call me an Argento purist, but I just think that Dead Silence looks like an extended remake of a scene from Deep Red when the puppet attacked some dude in a library. I can't explain it, but I just don't dig the Splat Pack. Too much effort to be both substance and style. Just give me a horror film built entirely on style, please.

Najork: I think another reason why "The Sarah Silverman Program" works is because it shows that ladies can be dirty and foul, too. Or at least that's a conversation I had with some body the other day about the show was about.

While I'm not pissing myself of 300, I do want to see it and I'll probably cruise over to IMAX and watch it. The film looks like one big action sequence. It's probably really pretenious, but at least, it'll be nice to look at. I think I'll support it because it's a film that wasn't made with the after market in the back of their mind.

Also, the bits and pieces of The Family Stone I watched a couple of months ago wasn't that bad. David Gordon Green regular Paul Schneider is in it, so it's not that bad. The orignial title was better though; Fucking Hate Her would've sold more tickets.

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Uncle Grambo said...

"Family Stone" is WAY underrated. Not a great movie by any stretch, but it's not the schlocky romantic holi-comedy it was marketed as (except for the final 10 minutes). Despite not being given anything to work with script-wise, McAdams alone is worth the price of admission. Luke Wilson nails the stoner brother role, Claire Danes is positively radiant, and Craig T. Fucking Nelson plays his role like "Coach" never even existed. Right behind "Home For The Holidays" for best "adult comes back to their childhood home and realizes they haven't grown up that much yet" movie of the last 20 years.

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Dan said...

I agree 100%-- Zodiac is great. You can't really compare it to Se7en or Fight Club, because as you say, they're different animals. But Zodiac really is a two and a hour mindfuck of a mood ride in the hands of a master director, and if it proves anything, it shows that Fincher has come roaring back after the shit show that was Panic Room. I went in almost expecting to be disappointed, and wound up being blown away.

And I also can't wait for 300 either. Frank Miller/Sin City plus Gladiator? Uh, yes please!

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Derek said...

I agree. If scrubs and sarah silverman switched places, everything would be perfect.d

 
At 12:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grambo's right. Family Stone is a good movie, and Family Stone minus the schmaltzy sick mom bits would've been a great movie.

Also, is anyone else feeling the heat that is Laura Silverman? Hachi machi!

 
At 2:22 PM , Anonymous C-dice said...

i thought children of men came out this year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home