&t skeet on mischa: Saves The Day

skeet on mischa

i wouldn't have given you it if i didn't agree

Jun 20, 2007

Saves The Day


I remember a couple of years back or maybe it was a year ago, who really remembers? Any ways, there was this story on the news about some duffer who was fired from job because of what he wrote about in his blog. And of course, there’s the great scare tactics of the 11 o’clock news promo about what your MySpace profile will say to future employers. All of these things on the intranet are out there for anybody to see with a little help from Google. Either they can hurt us or it’s just whatevs. Nine times out of ten, I take the iust whatevs attitude, yet recently; okay within the last week or two, I’ve been really regretting things that have been said on the empire only in the sense that it may hurt me in the job hunt. It’s like oh wait, I wrote what about your client or said this about your TV show/ your movie. I knew that one point or another, my words would finally catch up with me, but I wasn’t expecting it soon.

So, it’s been a struggle for me to figure out what exactly it is that I complain about. Why does anybody have to a blog to complain about bullshit that is meaningless in normal, regular life. But what’s left to complain about? Let alone being original in one’s criticism. Me complaining about traffic on the 405; not that interesting. Why don’t I just become a talk radio host if I’m only going to be interested in public affairs and politics. Not to mention, if you’re a public affairs guy, the only people that are actually going to be into it are the people that want to make prank phone calls. I could complain about music, but I really don’t know that much about music. I know what I like and I know what I don’t like and generally everybody else on the intranet pretty much has the same taste as I do. Isn’t it weird that people go on the intranet to voice their opinion, but yet they all seem to like the same thing? Then one could talk about sports, but as previously stated, I don’t know that much about sports. To be honest, I don’t know that much to begin with. Then I could complain about L.A. DJs but that’s a lost cause because anybody with a shred of fame to their name and a laptop could DJ some party. So, kids make me more famous so I could DJ nighttime model pool parties where I could play the Misfits and T.I.P. jams.


Which brings me to this point of what to write about other than time killing prose about how I don’t watch “Lost” anymore or how y’all should’ve just blind bought the Alejandro Jodorowsky box set or just talking about how awesome that Darth Nihilus guy is. So, I’m at a cross roads of what to say.

I bet you some duffer like myself started to yell “The Champ is Here!” and this girl was all like, “That’s me!” Then she got free drinks the rest of the night.

Anybody else check out Nikki Fenke’s article on Eli Roth and the failure of Hostel: Part 2? To me, the failure of Hostel doesn’t seem like such a surprise because the only people were buzzing about the film were people who hated the sequel without even seeing it or at least after watching a bootleg, unfinished version of the film. There was the failure of Tarantino & Rodriguez’s Grindhouse only a couple of months ago. Yet more importantly, the first Hostel was released in early January. All types of school kids were out for a few weeks with nothing to do. Not to mention, who wants to spend a nice summer day or evening watching some lady roll around in the blood of the girl from Welcome to the Dollhouse? I don’t believe piracy is what hurt the film; arrogance and media hype is what killed the film. Every one just assumed that it’d be a hit and anything less than a solid opening within the top 3 would’ve been a failure. Granted, Roth’s ego is beyond bruised. To go from having your car waxed by Harvey Weinstein and any dumb Czech extra to Harvey delaying, maybe even canceling his Stephen King adaptation. Roth has said that he wants to take some time off from directing, but that’s the wrong idea. Take a break, yeah, but not a year off. You gotta get back on that trolley and make another picture. He doesn’t have that body of work that will make yearn for his next film no matter how long it takes. The horror genre doesn’t have any time nor any room for a Terrence Malick type; that’s John Carpenter’s job.


Maybe it’s surprising or maybe it’s not, but Ratatouille is good. While it’s not hard to be better than Cars, the new Pixar film certainly is. As weird as it sounds it reminded me of Goodfellas; in terms of structure. The only fault with the film is that 15 minute stretch where the audience doesn’t hear Patton Oswalt, but I only say that as a Patton fan. The other problem with the film wasn’t with the film its self but with the audience I saw it with. The most condescending man in the world sat next to me. Every time there was a joke, this asshole face would turn to his niece or daughter or whatever and say, “That was funny,” or explain a plot point to the child. It maybe an animated film that is structured like Goodfellas but it doesn’t mean everything has to be explained to the child. You know how is the child supposed to develop their own sense of humor if their creepy uncle leans over tells them what he thinks is funny? This is the reason why sitcoms still need laugh tracks cause of the creepy condescending uncle.

Anybody else still sticking with “John from Cincinnati”? I still have no clue as to what’s going on. Is Ed O’Neil’s character supposed to be retarded? Is the show supposed to be a parody of “Lost”? Will every supporting actor from “Deadwood” appear on the show at one point or another? There are just too many questions that I’m not sure if I have the patience to invest another seven episodes with; two more maybe.


I don’t want to sound like a Johnny Come Lately, but I’m obsessed with No Age’s “Weirdo Rippers”. I’d easily put it in my top five favorite albums of this year. It’s dense and loud, but at the same time, it’s quiet and poppy. More importantly, it leaves you waiting more. "Neck Escaper" is probably one of the best songs ever.

6 Comments:

At 12:01 AM , Blogger Robin Brown said...

are you reading star wars books instead of writing?

 
At 12:32 AM , Anonymous JW said...

If you don't already, check out Cali's blog, he's intertwined in the No Age scene. One of my favorite sites.

http://teenageteardrops.abstractdynamics.org/

 
At 10:04 AM , Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

Darth Nihilus is a reference from the Stern show. They interviewed this guy at a Star Wars convention and it's hard to explain but it's one of the funniest things ever.

 
At 12:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

who's the girl in the top picture?

 
At 2:46 AM , Blogger Mick said...

eppy 2 of john from cincy was wayyyy better than the pilot, that's for sure. at least it's on a rising streak. we'll see next week at least. they're not gonna throw the whole book at you in the first couple of episodes. if this is trying to be like twin peaks (probably is) then thinking 'what the fuck is going on' is probably the point.

 
At 7:43 PM , Blogger brunette like me said...

I just gave up on John from Cincinnati. I was hoping that it would come together, but it is still so hard to understand. At the risk of this comment preventing me from getting a job for the show's producer someday, I have to say that it has been just downright unintelligible.

P.S. I know that this is kinda random, but I was wondering if you had any OC-based blogs that you would recommend to local readers...thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home