&t skeet on mischa: Roll On

skeet on mischa

i wouldn't have given you it if i didn't agree

Aug 27, 2007

Roll On


Over the last few months or so, I’ve been noticing that people like to read blogs that feature photos with crazy captions written on them or watermarks. Maybe it has something to do with the content of the photo and not necessarily the watermark its self. Either way, I’m open to try new things in an attempt to get new readers (maybe updating more than once every two months is a good start), so, why not try out the caption thing out. I didn’t want to write out pictures the same way that everybody else does, so I wanted to use specific fonts. The Friday the 13th is indeed spooky and edgy, but it doesn’t evoke enough fear. Perhaps, if there was a built in sound effect it’d be scarier.


To me, putting captions onto pictures feels like lazy writing. I know that this writing is rather lazy, but when you put a caption on, it just seems as if you couldn’t come up with a reference to an episode from “The Simpsons,” or relate it to an event in you life or something remotely interesting. I know that the caption looks fairly rad cause it’s the classic Slayer font and the classic Slayer font is amazing. It’s just too duh duh for me.


Then again, its kind of fun to work in old timey catch phrases onto photos of babes. Especially if it’s the Misfits font. I think the Misfits either are becoming totally trendy or already are or will just forever be cool. The Misfits font is like Vans; it’ll never go out of style.

Speaking of or if you will, captioning of Rachel Bilson, whatever happened to her? She was on “The OC,” but then I stopped watching the show and it got canceled and then she broke up with that one dude who was in The Ten with Winona “Jugs Ahoy” Ryder. Then she fell off the earth or at least fell out of the papparazzi’s view. Why isn’t she in more movies? She was the best thing about that Zach Braff movie The Last Kiss, so why aren’t casting directors and producers flooding her agent and manger’s respective offices with scripts and offers of major motion pictures and pilots? I’m not sure if I could continue to go to the movies if Hollywood’s go to young brunette is Megan Fox or some blonde dyes her hair a darker color.

I don’t believe that I have any pull or power as a writer. Maybe a little or at least just enough to get my inbox clogged up with e-mails about Balls of Fury shifting release dates and the latest P.R. newsletters from Bad Boy records on a weekly basis. Maybe it has something to do with my lack of captions, but allow myself to direct y’all to some cool things. Well, the first thing, I’m not sure about, but a friend of mine sent out an e-mail the other day asking everybody to check out the movie, Dedication. It’s directed by Justin Theroux, who was in David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr. & Inland Empire, so he’s got cool points for days and weeks in my book. The movie also stars Mandy Moore, so you know if you’re a dude, you can take your girl to it and seem like a cool guy for once because girls love Mandy Moore. And if you’re local, I believe it’s playing at the Landmark multiplex on Pico. It’s a great theater if you haven’t been yet. So, support me supporting my friend, Morgan and her support of Dedication.

And the other thing, is fuck no shorts policies at bars. I tried to go into a bar that I’ve been in the past while wearing shorts and the dude at the door was like, “Nah. I can’t let you in on the weekend wearing shorts.” Say wha? Why not? There’s probably a grip of girls inside in shorty shorts in the bar and quite frankly, I probably looked better in my shorts than most of those girls in their shortys. I can understand not being let into Le Deux or Le Dipshit or whatever the fuck it’s called for wearing a pair of shorts, but a bar? A fucking bar? I just wanted to get a couple of New Castles and have some fun and I could’ve chosen to pick up a six pack at the market for the price of two beers and laughed my ass off while watching “Jose Luis Sin Censura” with my friend. I don’t know what’s the problem with a pair of shorts? I guess they want me to wear to a cardigan and a scarf and jeans in muggy weather.

One has to wonder if the fashion elite label certain things as ‘trendy’ and ‘cool’ and ‘hip’ because they know how funny it’s going to be for regular people like you and me when we see those duffer who’ll spend 200 bucks on a pair of sweatpants with ice cream cones iron ons? Or has Gavin McInnes made such a strong impact on hipster culture that people now want to go out in public and be a “don’t”? I haven’t watched VBS TV in a while, so I don’t know anymore. I can barely keep up with “Clark & Duke” and “Big Love” while we’re at it.


You know how the other day I mentioned that I was excited to buy blind the new Rilo Kiley album because it’s Rilo Kiley and I’ve pretty much loved every album they’ve done thus far. Yet as I put their new album in my car the other day, I had to turn it off after one song and put on No Age instead. Then the next day, I listened to two songs before putting Stern on. I don’t know what it is about the album. Maybe the album or at least those two songs sound way too polished and clean for my liking. Where’s that beautiful Mike Mogis produced sound of the last couple of albums? I’m all for artists for expanding and doing new things, but sometimes, there are artists that should continue to do the same thing over and over again. One of those artists is the band, Rilo Kiley; just keep on pumping those jams that got me through my shitty days and excited for work in the morning. Maybe the rest of the album is different and perhaps I’ll give it another try while I’m stuck in traffic or if Artie Lange isn’t being particularly funny on Stern that morning, but it just seems as if I’m listening to the soundtrack for “Grey’s Anatomy” or one of those other type of shows. It seems like they made these songs to have inane banter about who slept with whom over it. I love Jenny Lewis, I do. I really do, but she isn’t woman who could get me to watch “Grey’s Anatomy” again. There’s like one or two women in the world to get me to watch that show again and I think one of them is mad at the show these days. So, maybe it’s a grower, but the new Rilo Kiley album not for me right now.

Then again, I also think my initial rejection of the album has something to do with the fact that the album sounds less “indie” indie, if you will and more like a record you’d hear on Star 98.7. I’m not ready to make that leap into adult contemporary land. Granted, I didn’t go to Fuck Yeah Fest, but I’m going to try to make it on to the No Age free show at Amoeba on Tuesday night (Kill two birds with one stone; see a show and maybe pick up an import Garth Marenghi’s “Darkplace” DVD (episode 3 is my favorite; start here). I’m not ready to make the switch from searching for new Santogold MP3s to being stoked on hearing new John Mayer tunes on the radio (even if he goes to La Esquina aka the best tacos I’ve ever had. Well, I’m not sure if Mayer was cool enough and ate tacos or if he just went to the top-secret underground restaurant.). I’ve never been a fan of that particular genre of music but I fear and largely assume that with age, you just have to start listening to that particular brand of music. I want to remain with it, but I don’t want to be that weird old guy at the show whose still chasing whatever it is. I mean I’m not even listening to rap that much anymore, but I can sing “Say It Right,” the Nelly Furtado song.

2 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Blogger Rose said...

I'm with you on the new Rilo Kiley. I'm no RK fan and even I would say it wasn't worth the wait. And yeah, it sounds too polished.

And to go with one of your previous entries, I agree that Vanessa H. from HSM & HSM2 is very adorable and pretty. She is going out with Zac Efron, who is equally as delicious in that teenybopper way. People call them "Zanessa."

 
At 9:18 PM , Anonymous Hawkman said...

Ha ha ha "Hot Soup!".. wait a minute, I don't get it... anyways, if you want to get back into rap, try picking up the new double-disc album by UGK. good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home